Meghan Markle, Prince Harry not invited to wedding of Prince Archie’s godfather amid royal rift: report

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were reportedly left off the wedding guest list for one of their longtime UK pals as tensions between the royal family are at an all-time high.

Per The Sunday Times, Hugh Grosvenor – who is reportedly one of the godparents to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s son Archie — did not extend an invite to the Calif.-based couple for his June wedding to Olivia Henson. 

“It’s incredibly sad it has come to this,” a friend of Harry and Grosvenor told the UK outlet.

Continuing, the insider explained that Harry, 39, and Markle, 42, were not invited in an attempt to prevent any further drama between feuding family members.

“He wanted to avoid anything overshadowing the day, especially for Olivia and doesn’t want any awkwardness,” they said.

“Hugh is one of very few close friends of William and Harry’s who has maintained strong bonds and a line of communication with both. He wishes they could put their heads together and patch things up, but realizes it’s unlikely to happen before the wedding.”

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reportedly didn’t make the coveted guest list for their longtime pal due to the ongoing tension in the royal family.
Matt Dunham – WPA Pool/Getty Images

In Harry and Markle’s absence, Prince William, 41, Kate Middleton, 41, and King Charles III all reportedly made the cut for the coveted guest list.


For more Page Six you love …


Reps for Harry and Markle did not immediately respond to Page Six’s requests for comment.

In a statement to People, a spokesperson for Grosvenor said, “We are not in a position to comment on the guest list.”

Hugh Grosvenor, who is set to wed Olivia Henson in June, allegedly did not add the Sussexes to the guest list despite being the godfather of their son, Archie.
WestminsterFdn/Twitter

The Duke of Westminster’s nuptials are set to take place June 7 at Chester Cathedral, in northwest England. 

While the relationship between the Sussexes and their UK family has been strained for a while, tensions are especially high following the release of royal reporter Omid Scobie’s new tell-all book, “Endgame.”

As previously reported, Charles, 75, and the Prince of Wales have been scrambling this week to assess the fallout after a Dutch translation of Scobie’s missive accidentally named the King and Middleton as two people Markle accused of “racist” comments.

Prince William, Kate Middleton and King Charles III are reportedly on the guest list.
Yui Mok – Pool/Getty Images

Per the book, the “Suits” alum allegedly wrote private letters to Charles concerning “troubling” comments made about the possible skin color of her and Harry’s then-unborn child.

But the rift between the royal family members can be traced further back to when Harry and Markle first cut ties in 2020 by resigning from their royal duties and relocating to the US.

The relationships were further strained after the Netflix documentary “Harry & Meghan” was released in December 2022.

Per Scobie’s royal insider, the highly anticipated docuseries “took the wind out of everyone’s sails” as Charles was attempting, and failing, to garner positive media attention.

The relationship between the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their UK family has been especially high since the release of Omid Scobie’s tell-all book.
SAEED KHAN/AFP via Getty Images

“[Charles] went from not wanting anyone to talk about his son to openly criticizing ‘that fool,’” a source allegedly told the journalist.

Not long after their Netflix doc was released, Harry published his scathing tell-all memoir, “Spare,” which did not help to mend any wounds between him, his father or William.

While Harry and Markle have reportedly made several attempts to make amends since then, Charles has not been completely willing to wave a white flag.

“It’s complex, but there’s increasing frustration from some of the wider circle of family members that Charles won’t just fix things for the sake of everyone,” a source told Scobie.